We are currently growing our team to enable the Synthetic Biology Revolution! If you would like to be a part of a startup with vast potential and career growth opportunities, please check out our open positions and apply online. We would love to see you excel and contribute to the important and fun science and engineering that are being accomplished at Switchback Systems.
Currently Hiring: Research Assistant – Chemistry
We are hiring a Research Assistant to help drive progress in the Switchback Systems chemistry team based out of our laboratory in Santa Cruz. This role is designed for a full-time student offering a 40-hour work week during summer months and reduces to 10-16 hours, 2-3 days a week, to accommodate a full class load during the school year.
- Perform laboratory experiments to establish best-in-class DNA synthesis technologies.
- Collaborate with fellow chemists, biologists, physicists, and engineers to drive experimental progress forward.
- Provide clear and concise written and oral communications.
- Participate in an inclusive & supportive environment for scientific and personal development.
- Help with laboratory operations including instrument installation and maintenance, chemical storage & inventory, waste management, glassware cleaning, and lab safety.
- B.S. or B.A. in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper laboratory techniques, both in anhydrous technique and aqueous pipetting.
- Experience operating a variety of laboratory instruments such as HPLCs, UV/vis spectrophotometers, & electrophoresis systems.
- Dedicated work ethic with effective leadership and communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical skills combined with strong logical thinking.
- Ability to learn quickly and willingness to work at a dynamic, early-stage startup.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of synthesis, purification, and analysis of oligonucleotides.
- Hands-on experience in solid-phase synthesis.
- Familiarity with analytical tools such as NMR, LCMS, and HRMS.
- General understanding of fluidic delivery systems, including experience repairing laboratory instruments and working with prototype tools.
- Familiarity with the Python programming language.
Switchback is a venture-backed corporation located in Santa Cruz, CA. We value ingenuity, honesty, and humor.
Please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of R&D
Director of Engineering
For more information and application details, visit our LinkedIn page.
We are always on the lookout for talented and dedicated individuals. Please feel free to contact us directly, even if you do not see your position listed here.